Renewing Nursing License In Pa
Nursing licenses are required in order to be able to practice nursing in the state of Pennsylvania. The state’s Department of Health, or DHP, requires all RNs hold valid licenses for their occupation. However, if your license has expired or is about to expire, you can renew it online at no cost. Here’s how:
Complete the licensure renewal form.
In order to renew your nursing license, you must complete a licensure renewal form. The board is constantly updating the forms, so it’s important that you check the current version of the document before completing it. To access this information online, go here:
To begin filling out this form:
- Type in your personal information on line one (including name and address).
- On line 2 type in your social security number and date of birth.
- On line 3 type in any licenses held by you or that you have previously held since receiving your original nursing license from Pennsylvania. If this form is being filled out for a licensee who has not yet taken their final examination for licensure renewal, then leave this blank and move on to filling out other parts of the form as needed until finally arriving at page 6 where additional licensing requirements need be met.*
Provide a clear picture of yourself for your new license identification card.
Make sure you take a clear picture of yourself. Make sure you are looking straight at the camera and that your face is in focus. You want the picture to show all of your features—including your hair, clothes and accessories (if any)—in a way that allows others to identify you easily.
Here are some things to remember when taking your photo:
- Do not wear sunglasses or hats in your photo.
- Do not cover up any part of your face with jewelry or clothing (e.g., tucking in long hair). This can make it difficult for officials to recognize who is depicted in the photograph on their computer screen later on when they need to verify someone’s identity during an inspection or other procedure related to employment licensing requirements.
Pay the renewal fee.
To renew your license, you will need to pay the renewal fee. You can pay by one of the following methods:
- Online through our website using a credit or debit card (VISA, MasterCard, Discover, American Express). Log into your account and go to “My Account” to begin the payment process.
- By check or money order made payable to “PA Department of State.” Please mail payment and all other required documents to:
State Board Of Nursing
P.O. Box 2649
Harrisburg PA 17105-2649
Attest to your compliance with continuing education requirements.
The next thing you’ll need to do is attest to your compliance with continuing education requirements. You can attest to your compliance by providing proof of completion of CE courses.
PA residents can renew their RN licenses online on the State Board of Nursing website.
The process is simple and easy to follow. You will be asked to provide your name, address and social security number. A question about your citizenship status will also be asked so make sure you have your passport or birth certificate handy. Next, you’ll need to confirm that you are a licensed RN in Pennsylvania by entering your license number and date of birth. Finally, press submit and then print out the renewal form that should have appeared on screen for mailing purposes.
If you don’t have access to a computer or printer at home but still want to renew online, call 1-877-444-0257 (1-877-NURSE) toll free from 7:30am until 6pm Monday through Friday Eastern Standard Time (EST). TTY users please call 1-800-624-4153—this service is available 24/7!
If you’re a PA resident and need to renew your RN license, it’s simple! Just follow the steps above.