Student Loan Discharge For Disability

Student Loan Discharge For Disability

The Federal Student Loan Program offers several types of loans to help students pay for their education. If you are suffering from total and permanent disability (TPD), you may be eligible to have your student loans discharged. To learn more about how this works, check out the information below:

Total and Permanent Disability

Total and permanent disability, commonly referred to as TPD, is the most common reason for loan discharge. There are specific requirements your doctor must meet in order to be considered disabled. Your lender may require that you have a physical or mental impairment that makes it impossible for you to work in any type of job. The following examples show what would classify as a qualifying condition:

If you can’t walk more than 200 feet without stopping due to knee problems or if your vision was so poor that driving would be unsafe, then these impairments could qualify as total and permanent disabilities (TPDs).

If diabetes makes it difficult for you to control your blood sugar levels, then this could also qualify as a total and permanent disability (TPDs).

To prove that your condition prevents regular employment, doctors need detailed documentation about what effects it has on daily activities like walking or driving safely.


If you live in the United States, you can go to the Social Security Administration office nearest to where you live. Make sure that the office is open before setting out. If it is closed, try calling them by phone and asking them when they will be open again.

If you are outside of the United States, find out if there is a Social Security office near where you are located or in your country. You can also apply for disability benefits by mail if this will be more convenient for you than visiting an office in person. You can find out how to do this here: http://www2centsfrombensplainingitallawayagainwithgooglemapsheyguysimstillhereletsgobacktoit

Direct Loan, FEEL Loan and Perkins Loan Programs

If you’re wondering whether or not your loan is eligible, the answer is yes. All Direct Loans,Federal Emergency Education Loan (FEEL) Loans and Perkins Loans are eligible for discharge. But make sure to check the status of your loans before taking the next steps.

If you don’t know where your loans are serviced or what type they are, contact FedLoan Servicing at 1-888-297-4037 (TDD/TTY: 711). You can also find out if you’re eligible for discharge by logging into MyFedLoan account here.

How to Apply

To begin the process, contact your loan servicer.

Your loan servicer is the organization that manages your student loans. If you don’t know who it is, you can find it on this list of major student loan servicers or by calling 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243).

It’s important to note that each state has its own way of handling federal benefits and disability discharge requests. So even if a state doesn’t offer a specific program for this type of discharge—like California does—you may still be able to apply through another state’s program.

In addition to providing documentation supporting your diagnosis and current condition, some states require doctors’ statements as well as proof of employment status (if applicable). The time it takes to receive approval varies greatly based on the complexity of the case and how quickly all required documentation is submitted, but typically takes six months or less once all paperwork has been submitted correctly according to requirements listed on each state’s website; some cases have been approved in under three months!

Student loans can be a heavy burden for those suffering from disability. Applying for a discharge of your student loans may provide some relief.

  • A disability can be a temporary or permanent condition. It’s not the same as being unemployed, and it’s not the same as being in school.
  • Disability is defined by the Social Security Administration (SSA) as a physical or mental condition that prevents you from working for 12 months or longer
  • Many conditions qualify for SSA benefits, including: amputations; cancer treatment; chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD); coronary artery bypass surgery; Crohn’s disease; diabetes mellitus type 1; fibromyalgia; lupus erythematosus; muscular dystrophy; multiple sclerosis (MS), etc

If you are suffering from total and permanent disability, it may be worth applying for a student loan discharge. The process can be complicated, but if approved, it can help relieve some stress of having to pay back your loans. Applying for disability discharge is best done with help from an experienced attorney in the field of education law who has helped clients like yourself before.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like