Florida Nursing License Lookup
The state of Florida requires that all nurses have the proper license in order to practice. This ensures that nurses are of the highest quality, and it ensures patient safety. If you are looking for information related to nursing licensure in Florida, this guide will help you find what you need.
Who Needs a License
All nurses practicing in the state of Florida must have a license. However, not all nurses are required to have a license depending on the type of care they are providing. Nurses who are working in an acute care facility, such as a hospital or urgent care center, will need to be licensed. If you plan on working in another setting that provides health services but doesn’t meet these criteria (e.g., nursing home or home healthcare), then you may not need to get licensed but instead hold an active registration within your chosen field.
If you’re unsure which designation fits your needs or where you want to work, we recommend checking out our guide: Will I Need Another License?
Steps to Obtain a License
- Complete the application
- Pass the NCLEX-RN exam
- Pass the criminal background check
- Complete required clinical hours
- Complete required education hours
- Complete required certification hours – Learn more about licensure requirements for each state by visiting our Nursing License Lookup page on NursingJobsOnline!
Nursys.com is a free online service that allows nurses to search for license information. This helpful resource can be used by anyone who has moved, or is actively seeking a job in another state. It also allows you to compare your current license with the requirements of other states.
Nursys.com is an excellent way to stay up-to-date on changes in licensing laws, as well as potential pitfalls when moving across state borders and beyond.
Renewing Your License
You must renew your nursing license every year, and it’s simple to do!
If you’re unsure about the requirements for renewal, check out our Florida Nursing License Renewal Requirements.
You can renew your license online at floridalicense.gov by going to their website and following the instructions outlined there. Anytime during the renewal process, you will be asked to enter your personal information (including name, address, date of birth) as well as payment information (credit card). You may also choose to pay by check or money order via mail.
It is important to have the proper licenses in order to practice nursing. These licenses ensure nurses have the necessary training and are capable of practicing safely.
As a member of the nursing community, it is your responsibility to ensure you have the proper licenses in order to practice safely.
The following is a brief overview of what you need to know about obtaining and renewing your license:
- Who needs a license? All nurses who are practicing at an advanced level or higher do not need a license. However, if you would like to practice nursing at any level other than advanced (for example as an LPN), then you will need to obtain a license before doing so.
- How do I get my license? In order for someone to be eligible for licensing as an RN or LPN in Florida, they must first pass two exams: one exam geared towards practical knowledge and another one geared towards critical thinking skills. Then after passing both exams, candidates must submit their application with their associated fees before moving onto another step in the process which includes background checks and fingerprinting if necessary. Once these steps have been completed successfully then candidates can move onto completing their clinical experience hours requirement (which usually involves working under supervision while completing clinical rotation requirements). Upon completion of all these steps then Licensed Nurses may apply for renewal every 2 years without having taken any new examinations during that time frame (however there are some exceptions).
In conclusion, it is important to have a nursing license. This ensures that nurses have the proper training and are capable of practicing safely. A license shows others that you are qualified for your profession, so be sure to get one if you want to practice in Florida.